To survive in the contemporary competitive market, one needs to ensure that their products stand out and attract customers at a glance. Think about it this way, when a person enters a shopping street, which shop they choose to enter will largely depend on the window display and aesthetic sense of the shop. In simple words, the shop must be attractive enough to attract their interest and hold it. In the digital world, this function is performed by SEO or Search Engine Optimization.
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization or SEO refers to the visibility of your site, such that when a user searches for products related to what you offer, your website would be among the first to appear. The better the visibility is, the more people will stumble across your page and be interested in your products. People today tend to search about a product before they buy it. Having a successful SEO means being able to lure those people to your sites and your products. Such SEO benefits are essential if one is to survive in today’s market society and especially for start-ups.
What are its types? This optimization can be classified into two types:
- On Page: tweaking a site’s web pages to directly improve organic search rankings and receive more relevant visitors.
- Off page: Activities performed outside of the website that help raise its rankings.
Website owners should initially focus more on on page optimizations as once the website has gained a reputation, off page optimizations will start coming effortlessly. It is however necessary to promote a website off page as well.
Should you pay someone for it? This largely depends on the magnitude of traffic a website is attracting. For starters, they can start off by learning it themselves. Every search engine has its own optimizations and it is ever-changing with the changes in the search algorithms, therefore paying someone to teach it is impractical. One can learn SEO up to a certain level if they can find the time, it is crucial for the growth of consumers. Large companies hire people to optimize their websites, they are experienced individuals who adapt to the changes in web algorithms.
- If you use it successfully, you will automatically end up being in the top search results organically without having to pay any extra cost.
- It will result in higher content engagement and website traffic. People tend to trust results provided by the search engine’s algorithm, rather than opting to choose those services that have paid to take up the top spot.
- SEO implies targeting the audience who come searching for your services rather than the traditional outbound marketing where you target everyone irrespective of their interest. This inward marketing is bound to be more successful as it is marketed against people you know are interested in your products and services.
- Another important SEO benefit is that you can calculate how successful your SEO efforts have been. Search engines often provide information on what keywords brought users to your site more, what the website traffic is, and more.
SEO benefits both the user and the company. We live in an increasingly digital age with almost every activity having a digital or online version to it. The outbreak of Covid-19 and subsequent lockdowns have only resulted in people relying on this space even more. The development of numerous search engines and the plethora of information they provide with just the click of a finger on anything in this world, has made people rely heavily upon this tool. SEO benefits digital content creators by providing them the ability to skillfully navigate this digital world. How successfully they manage to master it, in the end, will determine their overall success.